Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Getting the most out of what's outside yourself

At this point I must point out that I do not exclude myself from the criticisms I make about designers or design students, and that what I think (my opinions, conclusions and feelings about things other than facts) is always changing. As a critic I will try my best to remain objective but since it is not mathematics or science, some bias may be unavoidable.

On that note we can proceed to the topic at hand! What we all think is constantly changing for each of us. There are thoughts and images that stick with us because they provoked something in us or reminded us of something that we found upsetting, amazing, weird, etc. How we filter through all the data we receive every day is either in what we are predisposed to find interesting or what challenges us to think otherwise. I think it’s important to recognize that we select these things above all the rest of the information being thrown at us (either by nature or by people). Once we pay attention to what catches our attention us we can talk about what “inspires” us (I can’t help loathing that word because in my mind it implies that our ideas and feelings come from some holy light being shone down upon us which subsequently releases us from all judgments). It’s each of our responsibilities as artists to listen to our intuitions, but it’s also our responsibilities as designers to keep those in check with what the client wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment